... once upon a time ... a long long time ago ...

Small satchets of happenings from pockets of my life, as lapses of memories rewind to the particular place, moment and time ... realities of life
%%%%%%% unedited %%%%%%%
" MAY PEACE BE UPON YOU "

Friday, February 13, 2009

Football Team Selection

Being big sized, athletic and tall, it was my dream to play football for my school. When we were in Standard 6, our Class Teacher was Mr Chen Chee Ting. The football team was taken care of by Mr Baskaran; during that time, he played for the Negri Sembilan State football team. He was my Class Teacher when I was in Standard 1. Early in the year, the football team will be selected; mostly from the senior boys who are already in Standard 6 as they are taller and bigger. All those interested to play for the school are requested to line up and kick the ball into the goal. Affendy was already selected as the goal keeper. Didn't know why or how!

I lined up with the rest of my friends, hoping madly to get selected into the football team; as it was my dream; but so was everyone else's anyway. When my turn came to kick the ball into the goal, I miskicked the ball; the ball just rolled down the field into Affendy's hand; and thus I was waved away by Mr Baskaran as I do not have the quality to be a footballer. Adamant and eager as I am to join the team, I lined up once again to get another chance to show that I 'can' kick the ball and have the quality to become a footballer.

During my 2nd attempt, hard as I could I kicked the ball; right smack at the right place; whoosh it went towards the goal; alas also into Affendy's hand. But I was waved into the selected boys. There were 20 of us. As Mr Baskaran was a state football player, he knows and practice his football knowledge well. We were trained hard and followed the proper football training method. It pays off; for that year, our school team; Tunku Munawir School managed to go to the Kuala Pilah District Football Tournament final which was held at the Kuala Pilah Padang. We lost 2-0 to Sekolah Kebangsaan Serting Hilir; all because they have 2 huge tall players; 1 centre forward and 1 centre half! But I played in the school team!

No comments: